December 15, 2009

More letters

You were wondering what I'd do for Q weren't you? Trust me, Q's way easier than X... That's because Q is for Quotes. Whenever something goes wrong, "Fall down seven, get up eight" goes through my head. And when it's really more like fall down four hundred, get up four hundred one, it still rings true and keeps me trying. Cheesy? Yes. Effective? Definitely. ****** R is for Rio de Janeiro. The first city outside the US I stepped foot in at age 10, it's the city I credit to opening my eyes in so many ways over the years. It's where I hang glided, saw horrifying brutality, sang Girl from Ipanema on Ipanema Beach, saw my first Brazilian soccer game in the world's largest stadium, saw Madonna perform in that same stadium, sipped coconut water in a thong bikini in the sun, and is one of the places in the world that really opened my eyes to what poverty really means. Rio is one of those places that reminds me how one thing can be perfect and horrible at all the same time. ****** S is for the Sprungli cafe in Zurich, Switzerland. This is a place of absolute perfection. It's filled with perfect macaroons of every flavor and color, gorgeous sandwiches of tasty perfection, and most importantly... the most amazing, delicious, mouth-watering hot chocolate anywhere on the planet. They sometimes say that heaven is where you spend your time with what your heart desires most. If that's the case, I'll be sitting on the sidewalk in front the Sprungli cafe with my family and dogs on a beautiful, sunny day in Zurich for eternity.

No comments: