December 20, 2009

Yerba Buena

Mojitos have turned into the trendy little drink now, but it wasn't always that way. About 8 and a half years ago, right around the time I went on my honeymoon, for example. Beerman asked me what my first drink would be after we landed, and I said with certainty - a mojito. And it was. And it was fabulous. For years I tried to replicate it, and never quite got it. That is, until I found the right mint, yerba buena, from a Canadian grower. And now, I can make perfect Cuban mojitos, with a tiny splash of bitters just like the Cubans may or may not do. And everytime I take a sip, it sends me back to that honeymoon state of mine. And really, how could that ever be bad?

2 comments:

Indigo said...

It couldn't be bad. :-) My husband tried to celebrate his 40th birthday with a mojito. Until he found it contained mint. He does not like mint. And that took care of that. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Good point. One of the secrets of a good Mojito is de right hierba buena (or yerba buena). It´s a kind of mint, but not exactly mint. The hierba buena that grows in Cuba is perfect for Mojitos.