March 4, 2010

Unexpected beauty

One of the many reasons I love my camera so much is that it allows me to find beauty in unexpected spots. I mean, here is this ramshackled ice shanty out on the Wissota ice with its tacked on plywood for extra charm. The red against the white was kind of fun to play with visually, so I started shooting. I was totally engrossed in my camera and its settings and depth of field to try to get the shot just right when a car drove up right next to me. (I'm sure while wondering, "What in the hell is she doing taking pictures of our ice shack?") But out of the car came a really nice man with his young, probably 3 year old, son and all their fishing gear. The little boy was buzzing he was so excited, and proceeded to tell me all about what big fish ("Muskies and coppies and walleye and bwugill" he was going to catch that day. And to him, this little red shanty was the most beautiful thing in the world. And for that moment, it was to me too.

2 comments:

wineandroasts said...

Aw! What a very cool story to go along with the awesome pic!

Coppies and Bwugills. ::smile::

Lindy said...

*mingle*

Now you have a great memory to go with your great photo! Ahh, the excitement of youth!