May 7, 2008

Everything's going haywire

In addition to every fiber in my being collapsing into itself, I can't stop sneezing, and my hair is a complete wreck. To add to the fun, after months of a work project, it is hanging on the precipice because it doesn't "feel right" to someone. I had a gargantuan cream cheese frosted cinnamon roll for breakfast to help make me feel better. And then I just felt crappy because I know sugar aids inflammation. And thus is the vicious circle of my life. The really phenomonal news is I'm heading out of work to pick up C-man and go grocery and booze shopping. (Not necessarily in that order.) Then we're packing and heading north tomorrow morning. 5 days of non-work, non-responsibile living. Yippee! ******************************** So I have a new hated thing people say... "flush that out". Um... no, it's "flesh out" something. You flush a toilet. To “flesh out” an idea is to give it substance, as a sculptor adds clay flesh to a skeletal armature. To “flush out” a criminal is to drive him or her out into the open. The latter term is derived from bird-hunting, in which one flushes out a covey of quail. If you are trying to develop something further, use “flesh”; but if you are trying to reveal something hitherto concealed, use “flush.”

No comments: