August 6, 2011

August 6, 2011

We had a ton of adventures and funny mishaps today. And I got the most expensive photo I've ever taken. But all that is fodder for another day. Because today marked the 66th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima. And because of that, Beerman and I felt we needed to make the trip there.

To see the only remaining building from that day. (Preserved because it was truly ground zero, and the wind blew out from this point, thereby leaving its walls intact.)

To watch beautiful children ring the children's peace bell.

To watch throngs of people wait for hours to have their chance to pray in front of the memorial

And to watch thousands of beautiful lanterns go down the river.

I felt obligated to be here for this, since we were so close, and I'm very glad I did. That humans are capable of such atrocities against others in the name of war and political gain seems so unthinkable. And yet, there were the the people directly affected by it, those who had lost loved ones, or whose relatives had lost loved ones, not so very long ago. And sadly, Japan continues to feel the after-effects of this day. Despite vowing to never possess nuclear weapons, it has its own nuclear crisis that continues today.

I am not quite sure what I think about all of it quite yet. but I can definitely say I will never hear or think of events of this time again quite the same.

3 comments:

Mary Z said...

Definitely an unforgettable experience.

Kim said...

how beautiful!

Snowcatcher said...

What a touching recount of a moving experience. The war was indeed very, very ugly, on both sides. I keep hoping we have learned from experience, but it seems new wars keep starting.