August 5, 2011

To market, to market

Today, we left beautiful little Nara and made our way to Kyoto.
Unable to check in for a few hours, we headed to Nishiki Market, which is only a few blocks from our hotel. And we all know how much I adore foreign markets with their bustle and vibrance...
Their smelliness...
Their worms...
Their colorful noodles...
And their unpronounceable vegetables. I love it all so much, I could do it for hours.
And just when I thought the day couldn't improve, we went to the Gion area of town, the original Geisha district. The district that actually still exists and fully functions. And guess what we saw just before the rain fell...

I can check that off the bucket list I didn't know I had. Amazing.

2 comments:

Mary Z said...

Fabulous! I'm SO jealous.

Snowcatcher said...

Worms?!?!? ICK! But the rest of the market photos are great. Too bad you couldn't get the geisha's face!