August 3, 2011

Day 2 - More Nara = More old stuff

It was another day of Beerman working and me sightseeing. So I set out to send a geocoin on its way. In doing so, like typical geocaching, I found myself wandering through some pretty great parts of Nara. This one happened to take me through Nara-machi, the old merchant area. There was one shop that sold honey and special sugars. Like a bee to honey, I can't resist the local stuff, so went in to get some. The woman spoke no English, and I speak no Japanese. Somehow I figured out I chose the cherry blossom honey. And then she got out a map, and pointed out a few additional places I needed to see. Pretty amazing what one can do with no language! I am continually amazed by people's respectfulness and helpfulness. And grateful, because she sent me a few places I wouldn't have known about going to otherwise.

One of the places she suggested nearby was Gangoji Temple. I couldn't take too many photos inside, because there were people there praying or studying or doing something other than being a tourist.

But like all temples here, it was clean and beautiful and lovely.

Everything is completely clean and the vegetation well-trained. But surprisingly, there are very few flowers. So I couldn't resist the stupas garden with some wildflowers growing.

This is the bridge next to our hotel. It's actually in the Daijoin Temple garden. It's my view every time I walk out of the hotel.

After all this, I wandered through some more markets, trying to figure out what the different pastries and meats are until lunch. Then I met up with Beerman and the two men he's been working with. They took us to lunch and then Horyuji Temple, the world's oldest wooden buildings.



Europe acts like it has old stuff with 700-800 year old things. This stuff was rebuilt 1500 years ago and is amazingly well preserved. Really mind boggling.

So yes, it was another great day in Japan.

3 comments:

jon said...

You found a geocache is Japan?

Mary Z said...

What a fabulous experience! You just let serendipity take over. We found great things in England, just following the suggestions of people we met along the way.

Snowcatcher said...

It must be so amazing to live in a place where the people respect their surroundings so much and keep it so clean. That probably contributes to the longevity of the buildings, too. They take care of them.

Fun to see the shot of you and Beerman together!