August 4, 2011

Old Meets New

After walking a lot of miles the past 2 days and totally ripping apart my feet, today we got smart and rented some bikes. They were lavender bikes, complete with bells that Beerman rang often because he's funny that way.
We visited some more temples and saw some really ancient stuff. I have loads of pictures, of course, but won't bore you with them all. Instead, I'll share that today's theme was about old meeting new. That's nothing new to today in Japan. But for some reason, it was really sticking out everywhere to me. From the morning chanting service I recorded from afar (to try to not be too rude).

To this man asking for donations by the train station as people in the latest fashions whizzed by.


And my personal favorite. Texting kimono girl.

I think this is what endears so many people to this country. Well, that, and the fact that everything is spotless. And the people are incredibly generous and helpful. And the countryside is pretty beautiful. And... well, you get the picture.

I heard a study the other day that Day 3 of vacation is the biggest downer for people because they're tired, and things aren't as thrilling as how they planned. I say those people didn't interview me. Vacation rocks.

3 comments:

jon said...

Japan is a really interesting country. Tokyo is very much like a western country but get away from the big cities and it is very different.

I have friend who lives in Japan. More traditional. That is what he told me.

Bev Sykes said...

It's interesting the difference between Japan and China, where so much "old" was destroyed under Mao and they are so proud of all that is new. Thank goodness they didn't get rid of ALL the "old."

Snowcatcher said...

Reading these backwards takes away some of the perspective, but it also makes it just a bit more endearing. I'm getting to the beginning, but it's nearing the end for me, and you're saying it rocks!!!