August 16, 2011

Memories fading into the shadows

Because I still can't wrap my mind around being back, or because my mind won't wrap around anything very coherently quite yet to write about anything else, here are some highlights of my 10 days in Japan:

Funniest moment
While walking down the hill from Ginkakuji, Beerman proclaimed, "I'm hotter than a $2 whore on nickel night." While funny in its own right, for some reason, while hot and unbearably sweaty, this tore us up so much we couldn't even breathe.

Most endearing moment
While at a restaurant in Nara for a traditional Kaiseiki 7-course dinner at a place that was gorgeous beyond belief, but spoke no English, the owner/chef brought out a seed catalog to show us what was in the dish. He wrote down "spinach" because he couldn't pronounce it. When we said,"spinach" he repeated "spanish!" We said, "Yes, spi-nach". He excitedly said, "spanish!" He turned around, went into the kitchen and shouted, "Spanish!" to cheers of the entire kitchen. I'm pretty sure we'll always refer to spinach as Spanish now.
 
Most beautiful location
The zen gardens of Ginkakuji in Kyoto.

Best meal
We had several great ones, including the aforementioned kaiseiki dinner and a shabu-shabu hotpot dinner eaten on a low table over tatami mats. But my winner goes to a lunch at Idataki near Kinkakuji in Kyoto. I had crab croquettes, rice and tea. And it was marvelous.

Grossest thing
There were so many gross looking seafood things, I can't name, let alone pick just one.

Most surprising moment
Being swept up in a sea of Hiroshima Carp baseball team red, all on their way from the train station to the stadium.

Unexpected idiosyncrasy
Japanese toilets all have a "waterfall" noise option. Meaning there is actual rushing water into the toilet, or the mere noise of rushing water, the moment you sit down. I can only assume it is to be so typically discreet.

Most emotional moment
Standing in the Hiroshima Peace Memorial after walking through the exhibit, and looking out into the park with thousands of people waiting hours in line to pray in front of the memorial. People who knew people who had perished.

Best thing I learned
Just about everything while at the Hiroshima Peace Memorial. That was an amazing learning experience.

Thing I liked that I hadn't expected to
Riding on the bullet trains

Favorite temple or shrine
Kasuga Taisha in Nara - Maybe because it was my first one, but I really loved how quiet it was, and how the monks were walking everywhere amongst all the lanterns

2 comments:

Kim said...

It sounds fabulous and I'm giggling like crazy over the spinach/spanish thing. LOL!

Snowcatcher said...

I think the toilet sound effects are hilarious, but would have loved to have seen the joy in the chef's face!