August 2, 2011

I'm turning Japanese, I really think so

We've made it to the other side of the world. While Beerman worked, I walked my heels raw, seeing temple after shrine after tame deer. It's really quite the experience not understanding anything. I've never been somewhere that even the signs didn't help, because I can't read the characters. And when there is English, it's cursory and not super helpful. So I'm seeing stuff, but not really understanding what I'm seeing.

The stories of polite, competent people all seem to be true. Everything old is kept old, but with workers everywhere to maintain it. The weather is hot and soupy, but there are vending machines everywhere in case you forget to bring something along. The jet lag is okay. We're tired, but still moving. And for food, so far I've eaten at a noodle house and a French cuisine lunch. Although the French lunch looked suspiciously Japanese with a green tea custard topped with some sea urchin-like thing. Whatever. I'm rolling with it.

So here are a few photos from today:

3000 lanterns line the way to Kasuga Shrine.

A monk walking down the pathway, who then stopped to bow and clap and pray in the traditional way. I didn't feel right about photographing his actual worship, although I did stand and gawk from afar.

Quintessentially Japan

Purification station to be used before prayer

Prayers are written on paper and tied around branches. They're to be removed once the prayers are answered.


A typical worship shrine.

Incense pot - similar to a Catholic's candles, these are to be lit with a prayer (and some yen). The people then waft the scent over them to ward off evil.

Giant Buddha in the world's largest wooden building, the Todaiji Temple.

I don't think I'd mess with this guy.

Symmetry is everywhere here.

Tame deer are rampant in Nara. About a thousand years ago, a god appeared to the people on a deer. Since then, they're considered sacred. I'm not sure about sacred, but they definitely aren't bothered by people. And don't buy the deer biscuits, because they'll surround you like mad dogs on a steak. And they have horns.

Todaiji Temple

6 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Loved the photos. Have a great time!

Mary Z said...

Fabulous pictures - sounds like you're truly drinking in the experience.

kathi said...

Talk about keeping everything old as it is, I was in Nara 35 years ago and your pics are exactly how I remember it. I had to laugh about the deer. I remember them being extremely aggressive in pursuit of the deer cookies. One even grabbed my arm in his mouth - there was a moment of panic until I realized the red stain was berry juice and not my blood or his :)

Kim said...

It looks fabulous! I still can't believe that you are in Japan.

Kwizgiver said...

Beautiful photos. Safe and happy travels!

Snowcatcher said...

Incredible. Those lanterns are awesome. I could have used up a thousand shots just on them! I probably would have run out of memory cards on the tame deer!