August 23, 2006

DC Day 2

I spent all day today in class. It was a much better class than I'd expected, though, which was pretty positive. Tonight we headed to Post Modern Brasserie to eat. On Wednesdays they celebrate Colonial grains. Tonight's beer was a Clipper Ale. It was a bit too hoppy, but compares pretty comparably to a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Dinner was pretty much in the excellent category. We started with bruchetta. It was heirloom cherry tomatoes (sweeter than sugar), manchego cheese, and caramelized onions. (It was supposed to have white anchovies, but we asked for it to be served without) It was garnished on top with the tiniest bit of parsley. It was next to impossible to eat graciously, but we snorkled it down, enjoying each bite. Next, I had the ribeye cap. It was a tiny portion, served a bit on the rare-ish side, but enjoyable nonetheless. It was served next to a zucchini galette, garnished with wilted purple oregano and green oregano. Yum. My friend had the sea bass. It was laid on top of great looking mashed potatoes, and topped with arugula and a wine-poached egg. Absolutely beautiful and apparently quite tasty too. We accompanied this with trufle frites. They were absolutely out of this world. Desserts were lavender smores (restaurant made graham, chocolate sauce and lavender marshmallow) and pot de creme. Eich-ee-wow-wah! This was accompanied with port wine for my friend and sambuca for me. Our post-dessert dessert consisted of apricot jellies rolled in sugar (melt in your mouth good), chocolate balls rolled in pistachios (is this what they did with my leftover delicious pot de creme?), and lemon cookies. If the server (from Minnesota, University of Wisconsin alum) hadn't served my friend sheeps milk ricotta and nettles ravioli before we corrected him on the sea bass, it would have been perfect. But, since he was a Wisconsin alum, we got over it quickly.

Tomorrow is more class. I'm really missing my baby and husband already.

1 comment:

mkecurler said...

I'm a so jealous of this enitre trip- not the class part though!

I did receive a sweet book from the Christianberry exhibit. Yay!