August 21, 2006

Torpid

Torpid: To be sluggish or numb. As in, Jennifer is extremely torpid today. Beerman and I were watching a show on crocodiles on PBS last night. Yes, life without cable on a Sunday night when you're trying to get a kid to sleep can be a little bit dull. Anyhow, a guy called the crocs "torpid" and I didn't know what it was. I made Beerman look it up (because C-man was in my lap), and now I have a new word to describe my day. I also learned that we need to clean off the shelf that holds the dictionary -- as everything came falling down on top of Beerman. That's a project for another day! Our weekend was really nice. Great weather, dogparks, garden stores, planting, napping, outdoor church mass and annual picnic (Beerman and I ruled the beverage tent! Next year we own that picnic.) C-man is quite a ladies man. At church all the little girls wanted to be his friend because "he is soooo-oooo cuuuu-uuute." Their words, not mine. I finished another book on my way into work today -- Dirty Blonde by Lisa Scottoline. It's about a smart, modern woman who is appointed to the Eastern District Federal Court as a judge. A smart, professional career woman who makes her way up into the world from being a blue-collar working-class kid. Nice, right? It's moves along fine about this smart woman who gets herself in the middle of some pretty bad situations, when suddenly the author tries to put in a plot twist. So instead of the person she figures out as the killer really being the killer (spoiler alert), it becomes her incompetent law clerk. Someone who has a less than two-bit part suddenly becomes the plot twist. That's not a plot twist, that's just stupid! And then the author says as the two-bit law clerk wanna-be plot-twist shoots the judge, "The bullet just grazed her shoulder, but the jacket was DOA." BARF! Are you kidding me? That's what we're reduced to? A smart, hard-working career woman is being shot and and what she's concerned with is her jacket? Oh, puh-leeze! And of course, in the end, she and her best friend are both madly in love with the handsome cops who protected them during the ordeal. Big ol' thumbs down from Jennifer! If you do make the mistake of reading this book, don't get the audiobook -- it's read by a Canadian. Sorry to my Canadian readers, but if a book already sucks, I at least want to hear "process" not "pro-sess", "out" not "aooout" and "produce" not "prah-duse". Tomorrow I'm heading off to Washington DC for the week for a certification in Measuring and Evaluating. Yeah, pretty exciting topic, eh? Hopefully it's good for the long-range career though. Tomorrow I should get the chance to see some sights, since I leave early in the morning. And Mom -- you post comments by clicking the "comments" below. Not the little envelope.

No comments: