January 8, 2009

Crowning Jewel

I am in love with my dentist. Not in any kind of way that will ruin my marriage, but in a real, professional, oh-my-God-you're-the-dentist-I've-been-waiting-7-years-for kind of way. Leta me 'splain (I just watched the Princess Bride for the millionth time, in case you didn't catch the Indigo Montoya reference) 8 years ago I met Dr. Death. She was the worst dentist in the history of history. Her (what I learned later) totally unnecessary poking and prodding caused me to need a root canal that I had done by a different dentist (because there was no way in hell I was going back to Dr. Death). And then I switched jobs, insurance companies, and couldn't back to Dr. Root Canal. But I still needed a crown for fear of my root canal tooth pulverizing one day while eating an apple. So I went to a new dentist to get the crown. And I hated it. And it fell off. And it got put on. And I hated it more. And they told me that was just the way it was with crowns. Fake teeth suck. Fast forward 7 years, 2 dentists later, and a lot of annoyance later. I casually mention during my routine checkup to Dr. You-Complete-Me that I get food stuck in it all the time. He has a complete hissy fit, tells me "bad contacts" are his pet peeve, and the thing has to be replaced immediately. Well, in one week, the man has become my honest-to-God hero. In less than an hour's time, he shaped, sculpted and placed that little beauty in my mouth, told me to wait an hour to eat, and sent me on my way. And now I'm in heaven. Because you know what? Apparently it's normal to be able to bite down with both sides of your mouth at the same time! Huh. Who knew? Anyhow, if you need a recommendation for a dentist, I've got one for you! Just dress warmly, because he keeps his office cold.

No comments: