March 25, 2009

Jury Duty - Take Day 1

I'm sitting. A lot. And of course, an old guy named Tom decided to make me his best friend in spite of my best airplane don't-talk-to-me-I'm-not-listening moves. So far I've learned that he was in the Army, went to Vietnam, has lived in St. Francis since 1978 in the house his in-laws built, is retired from AT&T, did a lot of work with the 911 system, installed Jeffrey Dahmer's phone, and likes to look over my shoulder to try to do my crossword puzzle for me. Except he's not very good at them. "Lecherous look. Hmmm... That could be a lot of things." No, Tom, it's 4 letters and starts with L. That would be "leer". When I put it away with 2 left undone, he actually said, "Wait, I wasn't done!" And eating an Altoid probably wouldn't be a bad idea for him. When his name got called, I was mischeviously pleased. This is so much cooler in the movies. ************* 1:05 p.m. update: I've gotten through the courtroom doors and am in the process of getting questioned. (I'm out for lunch right now, so it's not like I'm doing this in the middle of questioning, although they have said they've had trouble with people tweeting during trial - can you even imagine?) My dream of being a juror is so close, I can taste it! Whoot! ************* 5:53 p.m. update: I'm juror 24 on a criminal case. Back again tomorrow to live the dream.

No comments: