January 3, 2010

Mailbag

I've gotten a few questions lately via comments or emails. So I'm taking today to answer them.
1. The pickle
The pickle is an old German Christmas tradition. It's an ornament, not a real pickle (Once upon a time, I believe it was a real pickle) that someone hides on the tree. It's the last ornament to go up. The person who finds it gets an extra present or year-long good luck. I did not have the tradition as a kid, but we've adopted it in our house to help the youngest family member with the long, difficult wait for Christmas morning. That's because we do the search after Christmas Eve dinner.
2. Entrelac
My apologies to the French, but knitters pronounce it ahn-tray-lock. It's a knitting pattern that makes the yarn look like the it is lattice-weaved. Or as a co-worker called it - pie crust knitting. It involves picking up stitches and knitting together. Not all that tricky as long as you're paying attention. It has been my nemesis because I couldn't figure out how to get it started. And I'm not that great at paying attention while knitting. So for months I'd try it in between projects, and it just kept ending up looking like a giant mess. And then I got scared when I went to the knitting store for help, and the owner looked at me with wide eyes and said, "I don't entrelac!" But I've powered through it, and am happy to report that with some help of the world wide webs, I'm about 8 inches in to the front of a sweater doing the entrelac pattern.
3. My sweater
It's being knitted out of Berroco Ultra Alpaca color 6292. The pattern is the P0347 Rapunzel in Limerick. And the lady at the yarn store told me it'd be no problem to knit. She was not the owner, and not there when I went back for help.
4. My stash
I've resolved to use up my stash of yarn this year. I've also resolved to be better organized so that I use up what I have in life instead of buying more. So this weekend I went to buy a box to hold the stash. Clearly, I need a bigger box. Or to knit a lot faster.
5. My camera
I take a few hundred shots a week with a Nikon D90. Obviously, many get deleted. I've never taken a class (going to try to change that this year) so hopefully in the future I won't have to take so many shots or just hope to get lucky with a few.
There, now wasn't that fun?

1 comment:

Indigo said...

We have something similar to the pickle, but it's a birds nest with golden eggs. It's hidden but it's for all of us to have good luck I think. My mother-in-law gave it to me on the first year we were married.