January 10, 2010

Putting it all away

The Christmas tree went down on New Years Day. But the Nativity scenes always stay past 3 Kings Day. C-man had great fun putting the kings out. But last night I realized that 3 Kings Day has long come and gone, so today it was time to put the Nativities away too. Of all the Christmas things, the Nativities are my favorite. I have a hand-painted one, a cheap one, a Fisher Price one, a hand-carved wooden one from South Africa, and then I have this small one. I love them all, because they all mean something, but this one is my favorite.Many years ago, I was a teenager living in Brazil, thousands of miles away from family. And at Christmas, my sister - against the advice of EVERYONE - mailed me this creche. It's glass. And she mailed it to me during a time when even letters from the US were getting stolen in case they had dollars in them. But somehow, it made it. In those days pre-email, the mail was my rare connection to home. And getting a package, let alone a special package, was a really big deal. And I remember that feeling every time I look at it. That feeling of being connected to family. So it gets put away for another year. For another day to again be pulled out, to remember the importance of family and holidays and doing something special to connect to those who matter most, regardless of the season.

1 comment:

Indigo said...

It's beautiful!