February 22, 2011

I need a drink

What once was a cool protest about what is or is not a right has turned into crap from both sides.

No, Rachel Maddow, Wisconsin does not have a budget surplus. Your numbers are based on the next 2-year budget, of which this is not affecting. And all those of you quoting her - bah!

And no, this is not about balancing a budget, but about Governor Walker making good on his promises to those who financed his campaign. Those of you behind his positions without even knowing who the Koch brothers even are and what role they play in this state's government - bah!

It's not cowardly or weenie or wimpy of the left to flee the state. It's the state version of a filibuster. For the record, I don't like federal filibusters either. I think they are dumb and wasteful and often just delaying the inevitable. But they're a part of our democratic system. Just like the ability to push through votes while they're absent.

I've worked for unions, I've helped organize unions, I work for an anti-union company and help them stay that way. I get both sides. Really, I do.

But all this back and forth, sigh... It makes me tired. And want to drink.

In the end, what makes me the saddest are those arguing "I have had my wages or benefits cut, so they should too." Because they need to look up the word Shadenfreude and think about what is they're really saying to the world when they take that position.

No comments: