March 4, 2011

Giving up and out

Lent is starting next Wednesday. (Which reminds me, I need to order my paczkis!) So it's time to start thinking about what I'm going to do during Lent as my constant reminder of my own faith and beliefs.

One school of thought says you should give something up. Another is against that, and thinks you should do something for others. I'm in the camp of "both". The giving up something simple in my daily routine is a constant reminder to me that it is Lent. While doing something for others teaches me and my family that we need to do more with less and help others get more.

The overall focus on my Lent this year is going to be on patience and positivity. My patience has gotten too thin lately, and my negativity has gotten too big. And it hurts those around me. Life is short. Why would I want to continue to hurt those most important to us with petty grudges and insignificant things? So I'm going to do my best to stop the complaining about things little and big.

I'm also going to start donating more to the local shelters. They desperately need food and money, two things I'm incredibly blessed to have. Plus, it'll help C-man to see the shelters and what it means to be homeless a bit better. So every Saturday, I'm going to make sure we make a trip to one of them to give what we can.

And I'm also going to give up chocolate. Because seriously, that's just plain ol' hard.

No comments: