March 29, 2011

Rusting

Iron rusts from disuse; water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigour of the mind." - Leonardo da Vinci

I've been thinking a lot about action vs inaction these last few weeks. When is the cost of not acting more than the cost of actually doing something? Of saying something? At what point is it worth extending effort to try to move that boulder up the mountain? At what point is it just better to cut your losses and move on to the things that can actually improve?

This has been a constant topic with C-man, as he encounters other kids who may or may not be nice to others. What's the right thing to tell him? To teach him? To show him? In the end, what do I want him believing in as he grows up?

It's an incredibly poignant question right now, because I really try to trust the people around me. I want to believe they're good in their hearts. But lately, I've experienced so much selfishness, so much meanness, and such deeply rooted lies - lies I think the tellers have come to believe themselves they've been told so many times, that it's kind of rocked my foundation.

And so now with all that in mind, I sit questioning if it's worth pushing that boulder up the mountain, or if letting it roll down the hill to smash itself once it reaches the bottom of its pit is the better option.

2 comments:

Mary Z said...

Maybe it's just the pushing of pebbles that works best in the long run. And, deep in your heart, you know that C-man learns from your example best of all.

Anonymous said...

Hope you find your answers - sorry things sound like a struggle right now.