March 17, 2011

Irish Family History Lesson

To say I'm not Irish is a pretty fair statement. That's because I have to track back to the 1100s to get to the Emerald Isle. The good news is, that my family didn't just live there, they owned it.

My most recent Irish heritage is Aoife MacMurrough (1145-1188), whose anglicized name is Eva; who is sometimes even referred to as Red Eva of Leinster.

Aoife's father, Dermot (Diarmait MacMurchada), was ousted as King of Leinster. He asked King Henry II for help. In exchange for the troops and his crown back, he pledged his daughter to Richard "Strongbow" de Clare.

Not much is known of Eva, as is to be expected of a woman in her time. She had 2 sons and a daughter and is inexplicably buried in Wales. There is a statue of her in Carrickfergus Castle, although no one seems to have a photo of it.


And that, ladies is gentlemen, is about as Irish as I get.

**************************************************
In other non-Irish happenings, Happy birthday, Cole!

3 comments:

Indigo said...

And to think you were at my house just last week, sat in my chair, and hugged my dog! That's got to count for something for me, right? I'm practically an Irish Lady in Waiting. ;)

jon said...

So.....It was your family that sent my family to america?
Is that what your saying.
No wonder I can't look a potato straight in the eye.

Katie said...

Your post is so fun! I have been researching my family history, and it turns out that Eva is my 26th Great Grandmother! I found your blog by searching for pictures of her. I guess that makes us distant relatives somehow or another. :)