March 5, 2011

Starting today

Wednesday night, I was running on the treadmill. To say I hate the treadmill might be an understatement. It's boring and grueling. But in spite of that, something sort of excellent happened while I was sweating piggishly, grumbling along every single step. The woman in front of me had on a t-shirt that said, "I can do anything tomorrow if I start today." And as I stared at that for 50 minutes, something about that really hit home.


You see, inertia is a real problem for me. I have great intentions in my head, but to get up and do what I mean to do is a bit of a stretch sometimes. And I'm not just talking about exercise here. So I think that "I can do anything tomorrow if I start today" might just become my new mantra when I don't feel like doing something. I've missed having a mantra. It's good to have one again.

1 comment:

Indigo said...

That's an awesome mantra! Good for you for staying on for 50 minutes. :)