March 25, 2011

On the journey

I like finishing. (Preferably first, but that's a whole different issue.) I love the end of a book. I love the credits on a movie. I always loved the sound of my foot as I tap home plate. Finishing is incredibly gratifying to me. That whole "enjoy the journey" shtick has always kind of been lost on me. And having things open-ended or unfinished makes me totally batshit crazy

Which is why knitting can be really frustrating. Not only do projects take a long time to complete, but there are days, weeks even, when my hands won't cooperate to let me do anything at all. And during those times, I have to sit and look at my partially knitted piece of work, waiting for the day I can pick it up again.

But I like knitting a lot. I love seeing the tangible evidence of my own hands slowly take shape. I can look at something and say that I transformed that ball of yarn into something useful, and sometimes even beautiful. I love being able to give someone something, even if they don't know how much work and money it took to complete, and know that it was created by me.

Yet somewhere in this sweater project I've been knitting since the beginning of the year, I began to realize that there is something special in that metamorphosis process. I love seeing it in everyone else - my son as he grows older, the trees as they leave winter and bud into spring, the caterpillars that will be emerging soon - so why do I resist it so much? Now don't get me wrong, I'm still going to be really pleased with myself when it's all done. (And probably the heat of the summer by the time I'm done, but whatever.) But I've been able to enjoy the transformation along the way a bit better. Now if I can just develop that patience with the rest of my life.

***********************************************************
On a totally separate note, ring out a hoya!

1 comment:

Mary Z said...

The Marquette women played a great game against our Lady Vols!

John calls knitting "systematic string tangling". I can't argue the point. I always have knitting in progress - right now a baby sweater, a shawl, and a pair of sox. I'll be taking sox to work on while we're gone on our trip.

I love finishing them and wear my sox all winter long. But I frequently give other stuff away. I like to finish stuff, but I'm really more about "process" than "product".