March 14, 2011

Segments

This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Farewell, my blessing season this in thee!

Each one of us has so many facets; so many likes and dislikes; so many identities; so many personalities we portray. Yet they all make up the one whole, held together by the core of what we believe to be true.

Lent, for me, is a time to pause and reflect on who I am in each of these segments, and what that says about me as a whole. It's a time to reassess what my own essence is through the lens of my own beliefs and faith. It's a time to assess what I won't tolerate, and then gives me the time to purge my life of it. It is, most importantly, a time for me to reflect on all the different parts of me so that I can make each of them better.

You know, kind of like a faith-based New Years. Except without any of the noisemakers or fondue.

1 comment:

Mary Z said...

Love your photograph. There's almost nothing better than pink grapefruit - especially if you're lucky enough to have some that was grown in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. That's the absolute best!