October 30, 2009

Goodbye, Old Friend

On a half-priced Tuesday in 1995, I purchased the Lovemobile at Value Village on North and 3rd for $35. Overpriced, even then. But the way love is, we couldn't help ourselves. So we threw it in the back of my boyfriend's truck and happily drove it back to the dorm room. I have so many happy memories of the Lovemobile. It sat in one dorm room, my Junior and Senior-year apartments, then moved on to my very first apartment of my own all by myself, and ultimately into my married home. Knowing the red velvet couch was one of the ugliest sites ever seen, I repeatedly submitted it to ugly couch contests. One year its companion couch (because this is actually the love seat) won big on Regis and Kelly. So the Lovemobile and I felt we won by proxy. I had decided to throw it out years ago, but then Riley commandeered it. And how could anyone deny this? But all things come to an end. So yesterday, I paid the Bayside Village $70. (Yes, twice its original payment 14 years ago) and when Beerman got home from work, we hauled its threadbare bones out to the curb.
And this morning when the garbage guys came to pick it up, C-man cried. And I've got to admit, I didn't like seeing it go either. Goodbye, old friend. We've had many memories together on your velvety lushness. Rest in peace.
*********************** On another front, it's Halloween time. So, we've been carving pumpkins. It was very important that his pumpkin look "fierce". (Seriously, is he channeling Posh Spice? Fierce?)
And today is the Halloween party at C-man's school. May the force be with you.

2 comments:

Indigo said...

That is truly the ugliest couch ever!

Mary said...

Oh lovemobile... how I've missed you these many years. It's clear you were well used and loved since you left Marquette. RIP. :(