October 8, 2009

Intriguing Recipe

It's Thursday, so it must be CSA box pickup day. I'm going to really miss these boxes. Next week is the last of the weekly deliveries before they go every-other-week until the end of November. It's just one more sign that Fall is here, I guess. Sigh... Anyhow, in this week's CSA newsletter, they included a recipe for Rutabaga Custard Pie (out of "from Asparagus to Zucchini"), and it's intriguing me to no end. So I'm sharing it. I'll let you know if it's any good after I make it, and let me know if you make it. (If I can get the fact that I have rutabaga in the house past Harry, who LOVES rutabaga and barks sassily at you until you give him a piece!) Rutabaga Custard Pie 3/4 lb rutabaga 2 large pears or apples 1 T maple syrup 1/2 t coriander 1/4 t ginger 1/8 t nutmeg 2 eggs 2T brown sugar 1 C half and half 19" pie crust Heat oven to 400 degrees. Peel rutabaga, cut into 1" chunks; steam or boil 20 minutes. Peel, core and quarter pears; add to rutabaga and cook 10 minutes longer. Puree, then add maple syrup, spices and salt. In separate large bowl, beat eggs with sugar until thick. Stir in rutabaga mixture and half-and-half. Pour into crust. Bake 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 25 - 30 minutes longer, until custard is set. Additional maple syrup can be drizzled over top to sweeten. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Indigo said...

I am going to keep this recipe in mind should we get a rutabega in our CSA box. Which could happen. What I don't know what to do with is all the kohlrabi I keep getting. AND my husband decided to grab FOUR eggplants out of the choice box last night. FOUR! I've never even tasted an eggplant.

Bev Sykes said...

What an odd recipe! I'll have to give it a try. Was it good?

*mingle*