January 18, 2011

Getting it together

It's Tuesday, and it feels like I've put in a full week already. Not in an exhaustive way, either, it's just felt really full.  Maybe it's the work projects that have been in limbo for so long are getting checked off left and right (Mostly because I've stopped asking for opinions and am just doing it. I'm discovering most of the time, people forget they ever wanted an opinion in the first place and are just grateful it's done.)  Maybe it's the 5" of snow that fell and fell and fell yesterday that makes today feels like a brand new week.  Maybe it's that my week is divided into 2 - what I'm doing here, and what I'm doing in Kansas City the rest of the week.  Maybe it's the prednisone making me so hyper, I'm racing through my days.  Whatever it is, I kind of like it.

Another thing I kind of like is my new practice of writing in a journal. I haven't been in the practice for years, but recently got inspired by another blogger who was talking about how she does it. I know I have my blog, but this is different. This is me writing down whatever comes to my head. Grocery list, innermost thoughts, what I'm happy about, what I'm worried about, something I need to remember, what I want my dream kitchen to look like, a vivid dream I woke up with in the middle of the night, story ideas, gift ideas... you get the idea. Sometimes it's words, sometimes it's pictures. And while it sounds chaotic, it's really quite cathartic. And while it seems illogical, it is helping me put order to the clutter in my head. It's definitely not something I'd planned to do for 2011, but just sort of fell into.  And it's shaking out to be a pretty good thing.

So enjoy your Tuesday. Coincidentally, today's challenge on my month-long food/lifestyle improvement plan was to wake up happy.  Check.

5 comments:

Indigo said...

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better, however small it may be.

I've toyed with journaling (again) in the past few years, especially because there's things I want to get down that I don't necessarily want to share with my grandmother .... but it's the act of writing the old fashioned way that I seem to have lost. My hand aches, my penmanship is awful, and I just keep thinking that if I was typing it in it would go SO MUCH FASTER! How are you doing it?

Mary Z said...

Glad you're having some good days. I love today's photograph!

Snowcatcher said...

Excellent that you woke up happy!!! I really love journaling, so I think it's exciting that you are embarking upon that path. I find it really helps me sort things out. Plus a place to list things I need to do, and I am in the habit now to check to make sure I'm on track and not forgetting the most important things...

FABULOUS picture! The color in the leaves really makes me zoom in on them!

Anonymous said...

Nice to wake in good mood! Safe travels!

melly~ said...

i haven't visited in ages!
nice blog post. bookmarking for future inspiration. i've been looking for some journaling inspiration and this may be just the ticket.

thanks for sharing, jen!