January 7, 2011

Musings of the day

I've almost made it through a whole work week, a whole school week, a whole week of being wheat and dairy-free, a baseball practice and a swimming lesson.  Whew!  Only another baseball practice, martial arts lesson and swimming lesson to go.  And then it'll be time to go back to work again.  This is the time of year that feels never-ending, with the ice and cold and no vacation days in site until an extra-late Easter break.  (My employer doesn't even give MLK Jr Day off. Seriously!)  At least we have a super Easter break planned.  That help.

Some good news I have is that our master bathroom is stinking a bit less now.  And I don't think it's because I've gotten used to it.  Apparently our dearly departed mouse under the tub is rapidly departing.  It makes me nauseous to think of taking a bath on top of that little skeleton, but even more nauseous to think about the cost, time and dust to tear apart the spa tub and corresponding tile in the bathroom that took us 4 years to finish the first time.  So, I think it's going to be Mr. Mouse's final resting place while we continue to light enough candles to hold high mass.  May he RIP.

I learned a new grammar tidbit this week: You HONE your skills, but HOME in on something. For 34 years, I've been saying it wrong, saying "Hone in on".  Who knew?  Well, some grammarian, but certainly not me.  I love learning new grammar tidbits.

In looking through my closet this week, I decided that I need to spruce up my boring wardrobe a bit.  I haven't really done that in, well, forever.  But when I look for some cool shirts, they all have puffy shoulders and go down to my knees.  The other day, I had to actually cut shoulder pads out of a shirt. I felt like I was in 3rd grade again.  Who EVER looked good in shoulder pads?!?  Then again, maybe there's a reason my wardrobe is so boring.



I got a gift certificate to my favorite local yarn store for Christmas from my Mother-in-law. So of course, I had to race right to the store the second I had some free time and pick something out.  I have officially begun knitting again after about a 6-week hiatus. It's such a good time of year to do it. I could spend days in a yarn store.  They're always filled with such happy people, beautiful soft colors, and are so warm.

So after poring over the books by the fireplace with a coffee in my hand (it relaxes me just thinking about it), this is what I settled on to knit, in cream.  I'm debating whether to trim the front and sleeves in a different yarn to spruce it up a bit.  I suspect I will, since this is a LOT of stockinette, and I'm going to be super bored if I don't.

 



It's supposed to be single-digit weather this weekend.  Perfect for getting some painting done over all the drywall patches.  It's just an excitement a minute over at 8920.

2 comments:

Indigo said...

I *LOVE* that sweater! I'll gladly pay you to knit one for me too. :)

Mary Z said...

Ooooohhhhh, yarn stores! Be still my heart. Great sweater - looks like one you'll wear a lot.