January 7, 2014

A lot of thinking time


Well, I'm back to work today. But as Beerman pointed out last night, I haven't worked a full work week since before Thanksgiving, so I really should shut my mouth.

All this time off has given me a lot of time to think. Which for better or worse, the extra thinking time and the combination with new year and fresh start and all that is a bit of a dangerous combination. What I've realized is that I've become incredibly lazy. Or maybe it's just complacence. I do the same things, think the same ways, and am not progressing or thinking better than I did the previous day. With work being so difficult this past year, I shut a lot of things down that would normally lead to my personal growth, and just moved to survival mode. I don't think I've ever fully recovered, and I haven't pushed myself to do it any faster.

I don't like that.

So what I've come to realize is I need to have be more creative. While I am creative in spurts through a few outlets and hobbies (photography, knitting), I need to immerse myself into something interesting and new. I need to learn more so I can be better. Because next year this time, I don't want to be the same person I am now. I want to be more creative, more interesting, and happier.

2014 is going to be a good year.

No comments: