January 14, 2014

Finding the light


All the good photographers will tell you to look for and follow the light. See where it is, how it glows, how it shades, and take note of it. It helps you enjoy the surroundings, frame the shot, and understand the true color of things.

I've been trying to take this advice lately, and transfer it to the other parts of my life. The darkness and coldness of the days lend themselves naturally to staying inside, eating too much ice cream, and grumbling about the fate of things. I am aware of this, and float in and out of consciousness about how far down I've let myself tumble down the hill of negativity. Because it is not a natural tendency of mine, to see good when it is not blatantly obvious. It has become too easy to find fault, and too quick to pass judgment when there is no need, especially when I am in pain of which there has been much lately.

But that isn't how I like to live. Not who I want to be. So I'm going to try extra hard to look for the light, even when there is little coming from Mother Nature, these dark snowy days. Exercise is definitely helping me. I really feel myself on the verge of something better and more creative. Some changes are coming - I'm almost ready.

1 comment:

Mary Z said...

You are a great photographer, and a great mother. You'll make it!