July 18, 2008

Babies and Stuff

So a friend is in labor. And I find myself totally thrilled for her. It's absolutely what she wants. Well, the baby, not the labor. However, every time someone goes through this, I find a pit in my own stomach as I re-live my own experience. C-man's at the age that people who do and don't know me now feel it's appropriate to begin asking one of the most personal questions possible - "When are you going to have another?" or just as bad, "Are you going to have another?" I then find myself in an awful quandry. Do I explain my year? Do I detail my personal health history? Do I try to tell them how awful it is to be confronted with the decision between trying to save my own health or create the life of a new one? Do I explain the fear of it going like the last one did - with me being sick, alone, and supportless, yet this time with a toddler? Do I talk about Beerman's impending job loss? Because if I do say any of this, I get an opinion. Like, "It won't be like that this time," or "Just feed him formula," or "Then you shouldn't have another," or "People make it on less than what you make every day." All pretty helpful, by the way. Sigh... I truly am happy when others find their joy in their new little bundles. I just need to find a way to not let it take me down the path of bad thoughts every time. So only good thoughts out to her and all the others who go her way...

1 comment:

Rogers5 said...

There's not much I can tell you except I find it the best to enjoy what you have and have faith that what will be will be. Don't worry about what everyone else is concerned with. You have such a sweet little guy that it's natural for people to inquire. I know this sounds cliche but look at what you do have and find the joy in that. Life can get worse but we're tough and can and will roll with whatever our destiny is. By the way you are not alone you just have to let those who love you in and not try to handle everything yourself. I do have sick time I am always ready to be there for you.