July 24, 2008

Do I Just Look Stoopid?

I have 38,000 miles on my Dodge Grand Caravan that I didn't want to buy in the first place. At 35,000 miles, a bunch of bells, whistles and lights went off on it. So I took it in. I'm quite positive the dealer replaced WAY more than necessary because it was paid for, but I didn't care, because, well, it was paid for. So at 38,000 miles, another light comes on - Check Engine. And we experience a periodic chugging - similar to a car tire going flat. So, I took it in. And this is the call I get: Tanya "Jennifer, this is Tanya. Your car has a faulty EGR valve, which is an emissions valve that is sucking in too much gas. (And got replaced at 36,000 miles in my car too!) It's caused by the type of gas we have in this area. (I tend to believe it's also caused by a crappy supplier part to Chrysler, but that's a different issue.) I can call Chrysler to see about replacing it, but need to guarantee that you've properly maintained your vehicle. So for $180, I can do a completely unnecessary cleaning of your vehicle and then call them to guarantee that you've been maintaining your vehicle." Me "How about you just call Chrysler, tell them that these lights were going off before the warranty expired and you didn't fix them then." Tanya "Our experience has been that calling them without any record of your maintenance will not work." Me "Well, just call them, and I'll hear back with you when they agree to do it." Do I look that stoopid? Maybe if I hadn't worked for Chrysler for 5 years, I wouldn't be so understanding of their warranty policies. But really? Do they really get people to do this crap? Bottom line, I have to pay labor, which I totally expected, and they're covering the valve, and I'm going to tell Tanya to go to hell. Now isn't that nice. The good news? With a brand new EGR valve, my mileage will go up! Woo-hoo!

No comments: