September 20, 2010

Appley goodness

In spite of not filling up our bags (yet still having to pay for full bags- grrr!), I have entirely too many apples in my house.  So, of course, I did the only logical thing one would do in this situation; I made an apple pie.  And after that, I still have, let's count them... 2 bags of apples left.

I really, really want that delicious dessert recipe from Oktoberfest.  I think it was just bread chunks, apples, raisins and some sugar all baked together in a perfect gooeyness whose taste may or may not have been improved by having an overabundance of the other German perfection in my belly, and might have been named after King Ludwig.  (Shocking, it being named after crazy King Ludwig.  And yet, I don't have a photo of it.  How do I not have a photo of it?!?)  Because we all know I don't have the patience to be rolling out strudel dough.  I might just have to learn how to make German pancakes this weekend, though.  Sigh... off to find some creative apple recipes.  If you have one, please share!

3 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again--you have the most photogenic kid ever. I just love the photos of him.

jon said...

In my youth, I picked apples in a huge orchard. It was fun. It was also very hard work. You were paid for what you do. So you didn't sit around and wait for your pay check. The local, like me, were very dedicated workers. Unfortunately there was not enough of us and some of us were not fast enough so eventually they had Jamaicans do it.

They would be up in the trees singing reggae songs and talking their dialect. toward the end of the season you would see a goat tied up to a post near their housing.
A couple days later you would smell something really good cooking. It was curried goat. smelled delicious.

I think of that when I see apple trees.

by the way...I agree with Bev about your boy being photogenic.
*****mingle

wineandroasts said...

One one apple tree went wild two years ago and produced such a heavy crop, it broke branches. We picked them all - ALL - and I made gallons of apple pie filling and froze it in dozens and dozens of quart-size containers. Just finished off the last of it this summer. I use it year-round to make fritters, fried pies, baked pies - you name it!