September 23, 2010

Tastiness

I still haven't found my sought-after apple bread pudding without the pudding recipe from Oktoberfest in Zum Stiftl that I think was named King's dessert or something like that, but can't quite find an exact match.  But a friend directed me to Ofenschlupfer, which is pretty close.  And I modified it a bit to be more like what we had. So for now, until I can get the right recipe, I'm calling it good enough.  Because, well, I made it and it was fantastically tasty.  So I'm sharing it here in case you want to try it out for yourself.

Ofenschlupfer
3 - 4 ripe apples
3 T sugar
1-2 t rum
10 oz stale white bread
1/2 C milk
2 oz butter
5 - 6 eggs, separated
2.5 T sugar
1 t cinnamon
grated peel of 1/2 lemon
2 T grated almonds
2 ozs raisins
Butter and Bread Crumbs


Into the oven...  Whenever something calls for generous pats of butter, you just know it's going to be worthwhile.
  • Peel apples, cut in fine slices and steep in 3T sugar and rum.
  • Cut bread in 1" x 1" cubes and moisten with milk. (This was my modification to make it like the Zum Stiftl dessert.  Plus, it's easier to eat this way.)
  • Cream the butter, mix in egg yolks, 2.5 T sugar, cinnamon, lemon peel and grated almonds.
  • Beat egg-whites separately until stiff.
  • Fold together apple slices, raisins and whipped egg-white with the butter-yolk mixture.
  • Grease a fireproof basking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
  • Alternate bread chunks with apple mixture and generously (Think more Warren Buffet and less Donald Trump) top with small pats of butter.
  • Bake Ofenschlupfer 30 - 40 minutes at 375 until the top is slightly brown with caramelly goodness.

Serve warm with a vanilla sauce or pudding.  (Or just eat it directly out of the baking dish like a rabid dog).

It's good for dessert or breakfast.  Hey - before you judge, think about it as appley french toast without the syrup.  Or don't think about it at all, and just enjoy it.

Vanilla Sauce
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups milk
1 T vanilla sugar or 1 tsp vanilla extract

Beat the egg yolks and sugar (and vanilla sugar) together until the yolks are thick and pale yellow and the sugar is dissolved, about 4 minutes.

Bring the 2 cups of milk to a boil in a heavy 2-quart saucepan and then pour over the egg yolks in a thin stream, using a whisk or electric mixer to stir constantly. Pour back into pan and heat without boiling until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla extract, if you are using it instead of the vanilla sugar.

2 comments:

Indigo said...

You are making me drool! Ohmygosh that looks delicious! I'm going to try it for sure, it seems easy enough. My husband makes some apple pie strudel thing that doesn't use sugar at all -- pure maple syrup and a lot of it. Sinful!

Julie said...

Oh no, that looks amazing. I'm pretty sure I will be trying to make it as well. Mmm.
Btw I haven't made the Banana "Ice Cream" yet but I've heard it is yummy!

::mingling::